Saturday, August 11, 2012

Homemade Wild Blackberry Ice Cream

Where we live is in the Mountains and behind our house is a creek, that about 7 months out of the year it is pretty dry. That Creek bed is home to a lot of wild Critters and some of the best blackberries ever! So for about two weeks every year we get to have some wonderful fresh sweet delicious blackberries.



My Mother-In-Law, who lives next door, makes the best Blackberry Cobbler I have ever had. So good in fact that when it is my Birthday I always want Blackberry Cobbler. Since my Birthday is in March that can be a little tricky since the berries are ripe mid to late August. So each year we make sure we have plenty of Berries stashed in the freezer for my Birthday.

But this year there are so many Berries we decided to check recipes and see what else we could come up with. Cheesecake was an automatic choice, but with so many health conscience family members we decided against it. But I was thinking Ice Cream, after all it has been wicked hot lately. I found a few ideas but really wanted to maybe try stepping outside the box. So here is my recipe:


Yummy Delicious Homemade Blackberry Ice Cream.

3 cups ripe washed berries
1 cup Nonfat Sugar free Coffee Creamer (Liquid) I used the French Vanilla Flavored
1/2 container Fat Free Vanilla Yogurt
1/4 cup Splenda

blend all ingredients on high in a mixing bowl.
Pour mixture into a Casserole Dish, place in Freezer. Take out and mix well every half hour or so, until the mixture is mostly frozen. Store in Yogurt container, let freeze over night.

This makes the richest best Ice Cream ever,  If you have a Ice-cream maker I think you put the mixture in that after the mixing bowl, we don't have one and did fine using the casserole dish and stirring every so often.

Chris, thinks the blackberry Ice Cream would be a good topping for Blackberry Cobbler, I on  the other hand think Blackberry Cobbler is best when served hot and a scoop of old fashioned Vanilla Ice Cream on top. And the Blackberry Ice Cream is best served on a nice piece of Angel Food Cake.  Let me know how you like it best.

Thanks for stopping by, and if you are in Crestline, let us know and we will have you over for a scoop.

Marybeth

No comments:

Post a Comment